Memberabilia: There’ve been some changes made…
Ocean Reef Retail Shops Play Monopoly…
Dear Returning Members (and those of you like Arthur and me, who spent all summer at Ocean Reef) –
I’ll bet you are excited to toss your catalogues in a recycle bin, forget Amazon, Ebay, Etsy and go to your favorite real live Ocean Reef stores. They are all there waiting for you in The Fishing Village, the Fitness Center, the Gift Shop and the Golf and Tennis Centers.
But first you have to find them.
Remember when you and your brother played Monopoly and he always persuaded you to exchange Park Place for Mediterranean and Vermont Avenues, claiming that would be “better” for both of you.
Something similar has taken place in the Fishing Village. There have been exchanges that I think are “better” for all concerned. I’ll do my best to describe them and I hope you can follow along by checking the numbers on the above map.
(1) LEGGIADRO – The Reef’s honest-to-goodness Ann Ross designer boutique moves from the Marina side. New Location: first store on the right as you enter The Fishing Village. (Location previously occupied by Burgee Shop.)
(2) BURGEE SHOP – This store has vastly improved and expanded its selection of merchandise for men, women and children (much of it branded by Ocean Reef Club). New Location: Marina Side of FV. Up the stairs and opposite Reef Treats. (Location previously occupied by Orvis.)
(3) PORT O’ CALL – Everybody’s favorite “go-to” for wine and spirits will soon feature a bar with seating both inside and on the outside deck. There will be wine by the glass and charcuterie boards. (Tastings will continue on the adjoining Patio.) New Location: Marina Side of FV. (Location previously occupied by Leggiadro.)
(4) ORVIS – You don’t have to be a fisherman (or woman) to shop at Orvis for interesting outdoor outfits. And, of course, if you want to go fishing, Orvis has a boat charter service New Location: Marina Side of FV, next to The Dive Shop. (Location previously occupied by Port O’ Call.)
(5) GOLF SHOP – It is pretty obvious that the Clubhouse, which previously housed the Golf Shop, is currently under construction. But, never fear, the Golf Shop is in business in a large, attractively transformed trailer, where you can still find all those wonderful lines (e.g. IBKUL, Peter Millar, Polo/RLX), as well as clubs, shoes, gloves, balls, etc. New Location: Temporary trailer on the old putting green.
What Else is New or Improved
Tiki Huts – The RAW BAR and the REEF HUT, two of my favorite eateries, have added Tiki Huts to provide additional outdoor seating.
Aren’t we lucky to live in Florida, where al fresco dining is not only safer, it’s also very pleasant.
I’m looking forward to a Caesar salad topped with blackened swordfish at the Raw Bar and the famous lasagna at the Reef Hut.
Palm Court Nights – This is a dining experience that I’m sure Arthur and I will enjoy.
PALM COURT will be serving a Mediterranean style menu nightly and what could be nicer than that. Reservations are suggested.
Town Hall Waterside – The plan is to have a large tent on the site of the old Marina Tennis Courts. The tent and much of its surround will have seating for an informal chow-down. There will be six different mini kitchens (think food trucks) with choices like pizza, tacos and BBQ. And there will be music.
Open for dinner only on weekends and some additional nights in peak holiday periods.
Pop-up Dinners – Periodically themed dinners will be served in the CARYSFORT KITCHEN with family-style menu. Watch for Steak House Night, Fish Fry, India Night (that’s the one I’m looking forward to attending).
Odds and Ends – GIANNI has added some outdoor patio seating on the Sundeck. This is where you can sit down and have breakfast until The Ocean Room reopens…Complimentary coffee service normally in the Inn’s lobby is now located at the TOWN HALL porte cochere… TOSKI’s (adjacent to the first tee on the Dolphin Course) now has a larger mobile kitchen and outdoor seating… REEF EATS, the popular take-out delivery service, that burgeoned with the onset of COVID, has a new and improved menu that features favorites from all the Ocean Reef restaurants.
My favorite 2nd Grade food joke.
Q. What do you call a fake noodle?
A. An Impasta.