As communicated by Club Chairman Bob Manzo at the Annual Meeting earlier this month, Ocean Reef Club has an enhanced safety related project scheduled for the Airport. As described, this much needed project is being funded with $4 million in private Member contributions with the remaining $2 million funded by Ocean Reef Club and by insurance recoveries from Hurricane Irma.
On May 13th, the Airport, known also to aviation enthusiasts by its Airport Identifier, 07FA, will close for the summer. Phase One of the Airport Improvement project will commence with the runway receiving a complete overhaul. The project is slated to be completed in mid- to late October and will include a number of safety-focused enhancements.
- Raised Asphalt: Portion of the runway and adjacent ramp areas will be elevated by as much as 2 feet, including the fuel ramp.
- Grooved Asphalt: To allow for runway to be used during wet conditions.
- Improved Drainage: A reengineered drainage system that will allow storm events to be managed efficiently. This will include the elimination of the existing retention pond, in exchange for use of injection wells.
- Installation of an Automated Weather Observing System (AWOS): To further aid pilots on arrival and departure.
- Improved Runway Lighting: Replacement of existing system with more current LED lighting.
- Widening of Obstacle Free Areas: Removing or repositioning designated obstacles located close the edge of the runway.
In addition, improved airfield visibility, and a much needed separation of front of the house and back of the house duties are included in the planning.
While all the facility will be closed for the summer to all fixed-wing aircraft, a limited section will remain accessible for helicopter traffic.
A second phase replacing the existing airport terminal is also being explored. An improved sense of arrival will be the aim, with an improved airport arrival and departure experience. A timeline for Phase Two has not been established yet.
With work about to commence, please feel free to contact your 07FA Team for more project timing information, and to schedule your final use of the facility before improvements begin. Please check the Ocean Reef Press throughout the summer for continued project updates.