Skin Cancer Awareness Month
“Spa Notes” by Jillian Barron, The Spa Director
May is skin cancer awareness month, and skin cancer prevention requires a wellrounded approach for the best possible protection.
Florida sun is no joke and can quickly age your skin, but even worse than aging, it can cause damage underneath the skin that can lead to skin cancer. To ensure you are getting the utmost protection from the broadest spectrum of UV rays possible, you must know which sunscreens protect from which rays, and which offer the best protection.
We have the top-of-the-line UV defense in The Spa with some of the best physical and chemical sunscreens you can buy. Come by and ask for a free sunscreen consultation so we can help you choose the right protection for you.
For a higher boost of protection, pair your sunscreen with a topical daily antioxidant, which helps to break down free radicals that form with UV exposure and can lead to DNA mutation of cells underneath the skin. These antioxidants are antiaging, and also help to stimulate collagen and act as an antiinflammatory. They are “liquid gold”!
Here are a few other tips for staying safe from harmful UV rays this summer:
• Apply sunscreen before you leave the house.
• Use a sunscreen that offers broad spectrum protection, protecting you from both UVA & UVB rays, and one that has an SPF of 15 or more.
• Protect your skin daily. Even indoors, in the car, and in the shade you can still get harmful UV damage.
• Use a water resistant sunscreen, reapply often (at least every 1-2 hours), and immediately after exiting water.
• Wear clothing and wide brim hats that offer UV protection, usually labeled as a built-in UPF factor.
• Make sure you are applying enough sunscreen – about 2 tablespoons or about a shot glass full for your entire body. Many do not realize that they need a lot more than what they typically apply for it to be as effective.
• Stay in the shade during the hottest times of the day, usually between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
• Look for changes in size, shape, and color to existing moles, freckles and other spots on your skin, and be aware of any new ones that appear.
• Visit a dermatologist for skin cancer screening at least once a year, or possibly even more if you or your family have a history of skin cancer and it is recommended by a physician.
• If you want a tan, use selftanners instead of going to a tanning bed. Tanning beds can significantly raise the risk of getting skin cancer.
UPCOMING SPA EVENTS & MOTHER’S DAY SPECIALS
Zoe’s Empire Trunk Show
Friday, May 7
8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. • The Spa
Beautiful jewelry, accessories, and clothing by founder and designer of Zoe’s Empire, Sylvia Njeri Habben.
Friday-Sunday, May 7-9
25% off all retail purchases for these dates only. Other discounts do not apply.
Mother’s Day Weekend
Saturday, May 8 & Sunday, May 9
Moms receiving a massage or facial on either day receive a complimentary aromatherapy upgrade to their massage, and a complimentary eye or lip treatment with their facial.